Happy New Year!
The advent of every New Year brings new opportunities. One such opportunity is to refocus on the basics. The basics of good attendance patterns are what create healthy habits of mind and action in our youth. We were created to be curious, interested, and excited to learn new things. This natural inclination to learn is realized when children come to school ‘every day.’ Did you know that Mt. Adams District-wide attendance has increased at every grade level this year, save one grade? That is GREAT news for students, parents, teachers, and the community… it means we are all working together to create a community-wide culture of positive attendance patterns. Keep up the great work and “Strive for Five!”
Speaking of working together, our Board of Directors with input from the community and District employees have made progress on planning for the future of Mt. Adams School District. Below are several items related to our next steps:
- District will continue working with realtor and the Yakama Nation to secure land for a new PreK-8 campus near and/or adjacent to the town of Harrah.
- District will proceed with plans to construct a new PreK-8 school facility near and/or adjacent to the town of Harrah or at the current location, to replace the existing elementary and middle school (including classrooms, library, gymnasiums, multipurpose areas, athletic fields and facilities, and other capital improvements).
- District will proceed with plans to improve the White Swan High School campus in White Swan, by improving safety and modernizing facilities.
- District will plan to have a bond on the April 24, 2018 special election ballot.
- District will plan to have a levy on the April 24, 2018 special election ballot.
- District will continue to work with the State Legislature to approve the Small School Construction funding from SB 5453.
- District will continue to secure School Construction Funding from OSPI.
- District will continue to secure funding from other sources including Federal, State, and private in order to complete approved projects.
The Board of Directors and I look forward to working together with you to create a learning environment for our students by collaborating on the planning and design of our new school campus. There will be open community meetings to learn about, discuss, and help plan the design and modernization of our facilities. Please stay tuned for more news on these exciting opportunities for our community.
Mt. Adams School District will be holding a series of Community Meetings to better communicate with the public. Topics of discussion at these meetings will be the K-9 Team in the District, as well as your concerns and questions.
We will also be holding the following Community Meetings, all starting at 6:00pm:
- Wednesday, January 3rd at the Harrah Elementary Cafeteria
- Wednesday, February 7th at the White Swan High School Library
- Wednesday, March 7th at the Harrah Elementary Cafeteria
- Wednesday, April 11th at the White Swan High School Library
- Wednesday, May 2nd at the Harrah Elementary Cafeteria
- Tuesday, September 5th, 6:00pm at the White Swan High School Library
- Wednesday, September 13th, 6:00pm at the Harrah Elementary Cafeteria
- Wednesday, October 4th at the White Swan High School Library
- Wednesday, November 1st at the Harrah Elementary Cafeteria
- Wednesday, December 6th at the White Swan High School Library